Speed Restrictions & Enforcement

I have always wondered how speed limits are enforced on Australia's rail
system. Is the enforcement uniform across Australia, or differing according
to state? Are there rail police with laser guns (joke)? And what happens to
locomotive drivers if they are caught speeding?

My second question is directed at people with some knowledge of Adelaide's
metropolitan railways. When I travelled to Noarlunga Centre from the city a
few months ago, the track was littered with speed restrictions... every few
minutes the train would slow to pass one of these areas, it appeared as if
the rails were slightly buckled. Firstly, is this due to the heat...it was
just after a heatwave? And are these kinks repaired quickly? It seems that
the Noarlunga line in particular often has speed restrictions. They
certainly decrease the trains speed considerably and are quite
annoying...very little speed can be built up between stations.

THANKS

--
Adam Joyce
9706360s@magpie.magill.unisa.edu.au

(When replying by e-mail please remove "NoSpam_" from e-mail address)