Re: Status of Garratts

r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au wrote in article
<5vkv9b$22t$1@nargun.cc.uq.edu.au>...
<EdSlee@onaustralia.com.au> writes:

> >Poor old 3813:  the only 38 to visit all of NSW... at the same time ;-)
>
> I always understood that 3813 was in bit and in store at what became the
> Powerhouse museum. Years ago, when it was the Museum of Applied Arts
> and Sciences A museum worker told us they had enough 38 bit to make 3831!
>
> What _has_ happened to poor old 3813?

AFAIK 3813 is in various pieces around NSW. What I was told may or may not
be true but I will repeat it anyway.
 After it was disassembled for the overhaul which never eventuated the
pieces lay around until someone (Keith Jones?) got the boiler, the frame
was offered to the MAAS, and the RTM has other pieces. After the MAAS
accepted the frame they discovered that someone else had the boiler and
wanted the frame to possibly reassemble it. Once the MAAS accepted the
frame they were then unable to give it away again.
The RTM has the cab and driving wheels at Thirlmere in S trucks, there may
be other pieces there as well.
The Powerhouse museum has the frame.
Dorrigo Museum (Keith Jones) has the boiler.
Tender whereabouts unknown.

Disclaimer: This info is as it was related to me, apart from the parts at
Thirlmere I haven't been able to verify the truth of it.

--
Chris Stratton
stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au

Any opinions are all my own work.