Re: AC16 to be restored

(Roy Wilke) wrote:

>It seems that most of the Redbank Railway Museum is disappearing into
>the workshops for restoration. Does anyone know if this has anything
>to do with the proposed super-luxury "Orient-Express" franchise train
>which is scheduled to start operations in early 1999?

The  new Great South Pacific Express (Please don't call it a heritage
train) may be steam hauled only for a small part of its journey. The
fact is that the train will be too big and heavy for Queensland steam
locomotives to haul it. Also with the limited range and servicing
requirements of Queensland steam locos, it would not be feasible to
haul it over any long distance. Current rumours are that it may only
be steam hauled as far as Caboolture and then by the Garratt.
The train will comprise around 20 carriages and at around 600 tonnes,
even the Garratt will be struggling. I can't see the AC16 doing much
with it.
The carriages are new bodies built on old steel underframes off steel
guard's vans. Some may be travelling to Melbourne for the Ausrail
conference in November.
The advertised intention is for the train to run regularly from Sydney
to Cairns