Re: AN sale: end of an era

arthur@gateway.dircsa.org.au (Arthur Marsh) wrote
>: My Grand Father who helped build the Trans Australia Railway and
>: some of my old Commonwealth Railways mates would turn in their
>: graves.

>So your grandfather would recognise a camel nose peg if he saw one? (-:
>Arthur.

Yes, I reckon he would.  The old fella got around.

He also worked on BHP's early rail construction at
Whyalla or "Hummocky Hill" as he used to call it.
He worked the Broken Hill-Silverton area where
the fledgling Silverton Tramway operated.

During the second world war when he was in his late
seventies he would take me in a stroller over to the
old SAR mainline near North Adelaide to watch Webb's
big steam power thundering through the old station.
I guess that's why I still like trains. :-)

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT