Re: Status of Garratts (ASGs and 400's)

dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) writes:

> >Does anybody know what is meant here by the term "multigauge".  The
> >400s only ever ran on the 3'6" Peterborough Division.

> Like the ASGs, they were capable of being converted to standard gauge.

Well I'd agree that the ASG were a heap of shit, but I am not sure about
convertability. According to Gunzberg, they were purely for 1035mm service

The 400's were designed for service on all three gauges of Australia, though at
the time the SAR ran only narrow and broad (classic example of a polly-run
railway). They at least had the forethought to build ng lines on BG foundations,
and some of their locos as convertable to other gauges.

The 400's only ever ran on the skinny btn Broken Hill and Port Pirie, and a trip
to Quorn.

Regards

Nic