Re: Cost of Alice Springs to Darwin.

(Roy Wilke) said amongst other things:
>Now, suddenly, just before an election, the Alice Springs-Darwin
>railway idea has been resurrected. This is in direct contradiction to
>the philosophy espoused by this government.

The Alice to Darwin line has ALWAYS been an issue in the
Territory with or without an Election.

>The Railway is merely an election ploy, and, whatever the PM says now,
>will most likely be quietly forgotten after the NT election is
>finished.

No, the Feds have committed 100 million, and by that they are
saying, "we will not build the Alice to Darwin line" but we have
given you a token allocation of funds for the NT and SA
Governments to go out and find a Private builder.

There will never be another Government built Railway of substance
in Australia again.  The Tarcoola to Alice line and that pathetic
SG line from the SA Border to Melbourne were the last.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT