Re: Fish & Chip(s)

Garry R. Ford <garry@merddyn.apana.org.au> wrote in article
<34A84909.64910C71@merddyn.apana.org.au>...
> David Proctor wrote:
>
> > Garry R. Ford <garry@merddyn.apana.org.au> wrote in article
> > <34A6EE41.1218F0C0@merddyn.apana.org.au>...
> > >
> > > It  was from around 1880 that the train for workers from Mt Victoria
east
> > > Sydney became known as "The Fish".  It was only a matter of time
before
> > the
> > > return trip for workers was called "The Chips".
> >
> > Is this correct? My source says that both Up and Down workings have
always
> > been known as "The Fish" - when a second commuter train was added, it
then
> > became known as "The Chips" - in both Up and Down directions.
>
> I am not from Sydney so I am not affay with the working timetable. You
may be
> correct as too Albert as to the following train being the Chips.

I do not mean to be rude (although it will probably sound like it), but why
do people post replies on newsgroups when they are not sure of the answer?
You should only post a reply if you are sure, and if you are not sure, then
you should say that you aren't sure - a person reading your previous
posting would have taken your reply to mean that you had checked and were
certain that you had the correct answer!

> All I was
> really establishing was (as Albert has done slightly differently) that
the name
> dates from the 1880's and that it came is some manner from driver John
Herron.
> I simply recanted the story from memory as is detailed somewhere in the
NSWGR

--
Regards

David Proctor