Re: Sydney Tram motors

Bob wrote:

> Barry wrote:
>
> > Trams in the NSW systems were classed in a unified system covering
> > steam and
> > electric trams from some time early in the use of electric trams.
> > There was
> > a previous system for classifying the trailers but I think the motors
> > were
> > classified by description (eg 10" Baldwin etc).
> >
> > The system went A = steam tram motors
> >                           B = steam tram trailers
> >                           C onwards = electric trams.
> >
> > All the letters were ultimately used except Q. In addition there were
> > some
> > other classes such as LP, OP, PR1 and R1 which were for hybrid or
> > modified
> > classes.

This is not quite correct at all. Steam trams and electric trams were
originally classed separately. Bill Bolton is spot on with what he said (see
my other posting) See also Eardsley's books and Chinn and McCarthys..

Steam tram trailers were classed as follows:
A Class - Brill double decks bogie cars (lower decks latter enclosed)
A1  Class - Hudson Brothers (enclosed lower decks)
A2 Class - Wearne Cars (Glass in lower deck sides)
A3 Class - Hudson Brothers - smaller double decks with 6 wheels originally
coverted to bogies in 1884
A4 Class - Hudson Brothers four  wheel double deck cars
A5 Class - Wearne - double deck bogie cars
B Class  - Wearne Cars - single deck corrindor car.
B1 Class - Hudson Bros - as B class with leather seats instead of cane seats

C Class - Werane Cars - single deck cross bench
C1 Class - Stansfield and Carey - C fitted with sliding glass doors
C2 - Hudson Brotheres ans several other builders - as for C1 but with an
extra cross bench compartment and two glass partitions to provide smoking
accommodation
D Class - Kitson self propelled double deck
D1 Class Brill/Wearne - self propelled double deck
D2 Class - Ambrose - two permanently connected single deck cars self
proipelled
KA Class - Hudson Brothers for Camden and Yass Tramway

C2 cars became the standard design and replacement cars were built for the
older ones  between 1888-94. Later called B Class steam trailers

Plus all the smaller systems not government owned

Electrics numbering wass haphazzard until June 1901 with no class system
being officially used. Car types were more the norm - Stephenson, Saloon
car, ex-Cable car trailer, Rose bay cars. North Sydney cars,

Destination Circular Quay mentions what you say in its forward however this
is an over simplification of the class system and its origins.

The original electric haphazzrad classification system  was still in use in
1912 and vanished by 1914. The new alphabetical classification system for
electrics was introduced from 1910 onwards although it was to start in 1905
with the one man operation conversion of steam trams.

Hence 105 was  first to receive the A to show it was converted from two man
operation. As each motor was converted it was given the "A" suffix, and thus
started the tram alphabetical classification system we know today..

Steam trailers soon after were then given the standard B classification
suffix to their number but the change over of electrics to thge new
classification system took some time. (see above).

Service stook were given V,S,U,W, and X in June 1905

Cheers

Garry