Re: Sydney Tram motors

Bill Bolton wrote in message <34a91304.1262405@news.bigpond.com>...
>robbie@alphalink.com.au (Robbie O'Regan) wrote:
>
>> Seasons greetings all!!
>>
>> When and why were the Sydney Tramway motors given an "A" suffix????
>> Any references in Bulletins, etc about this???
>
>I'll have to double check, but from memory the "A" indicates that the
>motor had been modfied for one man operatrion.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill
>
>Bill Bolton
>Sydney, Australia

Trams in the NSW systems were classed in a unified system covering steam and
electric trams from some time early in the use of electric trams. There was
a previous system for classifying the trailers but I think the motors were
classified by description (eg 10" Baldwin etc).

The system went A = steam tram motors
                          B = steam tram trailers
                          C onwards = electric trams.

All the letters were ultimately used except Q. In addition there were some
other classes such as LP, OP, PR1 and R1 which were for hybrid or modified
classes.

Barry Campbell