Re: Sydney Tram motors

Bill Bolton wrote:

> robbie@alphalink.com.au (Robbie O'Regan) wrote:
>
> > When and why were the Sydney Tramway motors given an "A" suffix????
> > Any references in Bulletins, etc about this???
>
> I'll have to double check, but from memory the "A" indicates that the
> motor had been modfied for one man operatrion.

You are spot on here Bill.  The first conversion was done to 105 ar
Randwick in 1905 but was not a complete success. Subsequently no11 was
converted in a more satisfactory manner at Newcastle and became the
standard from 1906 onwards. The earlier conversions also received the
giongs from the scrapped cable trams.

Cheers

Garry