Re: City Rail Problems 27/11

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997 00:18:17 +1100, in aus.rail you wrote:

> Most of the people in my carriage who
>had left cars at Sutherland, Helensburgh or Thirroul will not be using
>CityRail as of tomorrow.
>
>Will CityRail ever provide an acceptible service?
>
>--
>Robs the Wollongong Quokka
>http://www.zip.com.au/~quokka/

G'day.

I was on the 1618 from Martin Place and ended up detraining north of
Jannali and walking home.  In doing so, I overtook the previous Coast
train from Sydney Terminal!    I don't condone what happened, but I
would remind those new car commuters that the previous evening (I
think it was), both the Princes Highway and the Illawarra Freeway were
CLOSED ALL NIGHT.   Bushfires.   Apparently, the northbound freeway
was re-opened early the next morning.   The alternative routes would
have been via the Coast road or vias Campbelltown.   I haven/t hear
any complaints about that episode - also I did not hear any advice on
the news broadcasts about road diversions in place.

The basic problem, as stated  in the main story is simply lack of
cummunication to staff and passengers.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the CITYRAIL ON TIME
RUNNNG meeting this morning (Friday).   Or was it cancelled as one
with an impossible agenda!

The rest of the network was also stuffed - Bankstown I am told failed.

Another story I hear is that RSA had wanted to replace some overhead
on the west to Penrith, but RAC said it wasn't necessary, and so saved
the money.   But on Thursday, the wires sagged in the heat and guess
what?   No trains.

Surprisingly, CityRail has not come out with any major public apology.
Certainly, Martin Place had a small A4 size notice this afternoon, but
most passengers would have missed it.   I would have had p.a.
announcements at the stations in between the train announcements, plus
a full page ad in the main newspapers apologising.   Certainaly,
possibly a bit early for the last mentioned, but Saturday or Monday at
the latest!

Pete.