Re: Hex wheat train

David Johnson (trainman@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>Chris Stratton wrote:
>
>> A hex headed wheat train came down the hill into Unanderra about 7pm
>> Saturday 20/12. It consisted of 81/81/48/48/48/48. Does anyone know if
>> these are regular workings and where they come from?
>
>It would be a wheat train from the south west branch lines, headed by quad 48s due to the
>axle load restricitions on the branches.  The two 81s would have been put on at Moss Vale
>to provide dynamic brakes coming down the hill into Unanderra.

According to my Junee contact, all FreightCorp drivers down that way have
been working 11 hours on, 11 hours off for the past month.

WHat I don't understand is why the 48s would work through to Wollongong
rather than keeping the 48s for the branch lines and changing over to main
line locomotives at Junee.

Cheers
David