Re: WCR triple header

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 21:52:58 -0800, Craig Haber
<albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:

>G'day,
>
>tomorrow morning (Tuesday 23/12) should see 8220 arrive at Spencer St
>with 3 loco's - S300, S302 and B76.  Not certain which of the S's will
>lead - they're being worked back into traffic ex-Ballarat.  B76 will
>haul 8220 WMB-GEX, the S's will be added at GEX.  Come to think of it,
>the cars should be all-blue as well :)  All 5 loco's should be in
>traffic - S311 will be on 8207, B61 on 8232.  I believe there's a plan
>to run 2 S's (seperately) over the Christmas/New Year period, both
>wearing "Merry Christmas" headboards.
>
>Aside from this, other stuff happening at the moment includes:
>RT29 is currently at WMB
>ex-SOP car BS207 is in traffic (has been since the SOP tour), this car
>has some equipment being trialled, namely sliding end doors, and a
>retention toilet (in the Ladies only at this stage).  The toilet is not
>a recirculating system, so there's no chemicals, hence none of the
>smell.  This car also has new interior trim, with new seat covers and
>grey carpets, and black 'Pirelli' rubber flooring in the vestibules.
>BRS229 has also received the new seat covers and vestibule flooring
>(it's had grey carpet for some time).
>ACZ252 was fitted with new axles/wheels today (22/12/97), with the aid
>of a crane at WMB.
>Several car's aircon systems have been modified to operate on a new,
>environmentally friendly refrigerant gas, including BZ270, BZ269, BS201,
>ACZ252.
>Trackwork is well advanced at the WMB maintenance depot.
>All trains now arrive and depart from Spencer St platform 7 (except in
>unusual circumstances).
>Most carriages are now fitted with cast iron brake blocks (prevent
>problems experienced with composite blocks).

Hi,
what's the RT doing at warnambool ?  I remember about a decade ago
seeing an RT there being used as a pass pilot, amongst other things.
The RT would assist with placing D vans onto passenger trains before
the train loco dropped on.  Why the loco couldn't do this I don't know
but it certainly sped things up.  I also saw the RT shunting briquette
wagons out to the siding where the old loco shed used to be.  3 X
empty bogies out, 2 bogies in and a second trip for the third inbound
wagon.  Seemed the litte RT couldn't handle more than two loaded bogie
wagons.

Last time I was there (last summer) there was no RT present at all,
although I suppose it's possible it was out at denington.  The T is
reserved for WCR pass pilot duties I suppose ?

Regards,

David A.
David_Arblaster@dse.vic.gov.au  | David Arblaster,
mercury@netspace.net.au         | Melbourne, Australia
"What does it mean when a man unearths an ancient urn but buries
 his thermos flask in the process ?"  Michael Leunig