Re: CityRail Problems 5/12

On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 03:51:49 +1100, David Johnson
<trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>At 05:30 hours on Friday, the rear pantograph on an 8 car tangara damaged the overhead
>between Como bridge and Mortdale.  Busses replaced trains between Sutherland and
>Hurstville, but due to the many road closures from the bushfires, the busses were very
>badly delayed.  Single line working was introduced over the down main line to get some
>South Coast trains through.  Trains seem to have started running normally around 10:00.
>
>--

  I got the impression that the incident happened a little later. Why?
Because when I arrived for the 7.00am Rockdale/Bondi Junction
(Originates at Waterfall) service the station still had the train as
arriving on platform #2. However by the time I walked to the end of
the platform and started reading my paper the station annouced firstly
that the next train on platform #4 at 7.10 was to Bondi Junction. By
this time I sensed somthing was up, by the time I got to the stairs,
and the platform was deserted the station staff anounced that the
7.00am train was cancelled for today only and they gave a reason why.
So if that time is correct (and I don't doubt you) then I cannot see
why Rockdale did not know before hand that all trains from the
waterfall/cronulla area were not running. But if the time the incident
happened then it may well have been the 7.00am train that caused the
problems, as it is always a Tangara as well.