Re: XPT to Adelaide (was: Re: High Speed Trains in Australia)

David Bromage wrote:

> I can't resist a challenge. This includes a twice daily XPT from Melbourne
> to Adelaide formed by through working from Sydney. There is also a twice
> weekly XPT from Sydney to Adelaide via Broken Hill. This would require
> three new 2+7 sets, plus whatever spares are desired. The only problem is
> that one set will have to spend 12 hours idle in Adelaide on Tuesday and
> Friday. If WT2 was to depart Adelaide at around 8am, it would be arriving
> in Sydney after midnight. It may be possible to squeeze in a day return to
> somewhere like Whyalla during the idle time.

OK, here's my two bob's worth.
How about this for a Whyalla service?

formed by WT1
                   AY
                (Tu,Fr)
Adelaide      dep 0830
Coonamia      arr 1035
              dep 1045
Pt Augusta    arr 1125
              dep 1135
Whyalla       arr 1220

                   YA
                (Tu,Fr)
Whyalla       dep 1440
Pt Augusta    arr 1525
              dep 1535
Coonamia      arr 1615
              dep 1625
Adelaide      arr 1730
forms WT2

Cheers,

Peter.

--
This is not an opinion of the Pichi Richi Railway,
just the personal comments of the author.