Re: High Speed Trains in Australia

Maurie Daly wrote:

> How physically is this done?
> Normally to provide HEP , requires a constant RPM generator set , to maintain
> the 50 HZ .
> Means that you cant derive the power from the main traction alternator or from
> the main prime mover.
> As Im fairly sure the XPTS dont have a secondary generator, how is this
> done?Static Invertors possibly?

The power supply on the XPT is variable voltage, variable frequency.  I can tell you what
throttle notch the XPT is in simply by listening to the speed of the air-conditioning.
This is why the large microwave ovens that used to be in the buffet cars kept exploding.
All power applications requiring steady supply run off 120 V DC.

The only static invertors on the train are in each toilet and sleeping car compartment.
They are rated at 40 V.A. and used only for 240V shavers.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard