Re: WT27/28 Central West XPT

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<34821586.CB089BCC@ozemail.com.au>...
> David Proctor wrote:
>
> > While waiting at Penrith this morning, WT27 came through, already 6mins
> > late. It was comprised of 1 XP power car,and 5 carriages. I asked the
> > Passenger Services Supervisor if Countrylink were short of power cars,
and
> > he said that it they were running a trial - does anybody  else know
what is
> > happening here?
>
> Sounds like the rear power car failed and it was removed in an attempt to
try and maintain
> the timetable.  The train will turn on the Dubbo triangle this afternoon
and return with
> the same consist.

I asked the PSS that and he said it was a deliberate trial being conducted
- Countrylink are critically short of XP class - they have only built 19,
and with 8 XPT sets running, they require 16 - reducing WT27/28 to one
power car would give them an extra car to cover for emergencies whil the
older cars are coming up for overhaul.

David Proctor
daproc@bigfoot.com