Re: Coonabarabran mayor laments rail station loss

"David McLoughlin" <davemcl*PISSOFFSPAMMERS*@iprolink.co.nzzzzz> wrote in
message 3B160192.688A@iprolink.co.nzzzzz">news:3B160192.688A@iprolink.co.nzzzzz...
> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > The mayor of Coonabarabran has described the destruction of the town's
> > railway station by a fire yesterday as a huge loss. Police have yet to
> > confirm the cause of the blaze.
> >

> There is a train line to Coonabarabran?
>
> Holy shit.
>
> I have been there once or twice during my father's mad drives from
> Melbourne to Brisbane via the New England Highway.

I think you mean Newell.  The New England Hwy doesn't go through
Coonabarabran.

> I hadn't thought about the dump for years until Sam Neil started
> comparing Ashburton (NZ) with Parkes (NSW) over his new fim The Dish
> which is set in Parkes, which is near Coonabarabran.

If 150-odd km is close, I suppose you're right there.

Best memory from Coona: Travelling through there on the family trip from
Brisbane to Orange in about '85 or so.  We come into North Coona, with the car
on vapour, and the old man saying "We'll make it to town.", driving past about
6 garages.  Just around the corner, the car finally died, with about 5km to
Coona proper, and a 2km walk back to the garages we'd just passed for a jerry
can.

> Is The Dish a hit movie in Oz? It has had rave revues over here. Ihope
> to see it this weekend.

NZ really is behind isn't it?? :-)  Even Canada had The Dish a few months ago.
*

But yes, The Dish was a hit, and a really good movie too.  Certainly better
than most Hollywood stuff.

Al

Yes, OK, just taking the mickey out of you there, in case you're planning on
watching it on video and it's already gone through the cinemas. :-)

Al