Re: [NSW] More Complaints on CityRail Southern Highlands

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article
<3b1465ba$0$25466$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

> [Hon. Carl Scully MP] knows the majority of [Highlanders] vote Liberal.

That may well have been the case previously, but demographic changes (more
and more low-income families heading down the Hume to buy cheap housing
miles away from anywhere) are starting to take care of that one!

>From the March 1999 state election, the results for the seat of Southern
Highlands, courtesy of http://www.seo.nsw.gov.au :

Liberal 44.4% (Peta Seaton, the current MP)
Labor 34.1% (Noelene Brown - remember her from Blankety Blanks?)
One Nation 10.2%
Greens 4.2%
Democrats 3.1%
Independent 2.5%
AAFI 1.2%
NCP 0.4%

Two party preferred:
Liberal 55.7%
Labor 44.3%

That's not what I'd call a rock-solid safe seat - the redistribution before
the 1999 election also brought traditional working-class coal mining and
quarrying districts like Picton, Maldon, Oakdale and Appin into the
Southern Highlands electorate.

Combine this with the demographic trends, and we can expect the ALP elite
to come to their senses soon and thrown some pork down that way.

Regards
BT