Re: Is it viable ?

Dave Proctor wrote:
> There are non HST Mk III's - they basically used the Mk III carriages
> when they formed the HST's and placed a class 43 at each end to get
> the Class 253 and 254 DMU's (which did not last for long).

And the prototype 252 001.

Point of order. A multiple unit classed in the 200s is a DEMU. :)

> The Mk III rides better than the Mk IV, IMNSHO, at least the times
> that I have ridden on them.

The Mk IV is slightly lighter than is most suited to its operating
speed. The Mk Ivs have provision for tilting, and the tilting mechanism
would bring it up to correct weight. I'm not sure if the suspension is
too hard for the weight or it was softened, but either way it makes for
something other than the best riding.

Probably the best cars ever designed by BR was the APT-E. On straight
track, they could (theoretically) ride without flanges.

Cheers
David