Re: [NSW] More Complaints on CityRail Southern Highlands

"Bradley Torr" <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message
01c0e8b9$e74dc000$255e65cb@default">news:01c0e8b9$e74dc000$255e65cb@default...

> Al <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in article
> <3b1440f5$0$25479$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
>
> > Brad,
> > You totally missed the point of my post.
>
> I probably did.
>
> It just seemed as though you were complaining about the cost of CityLink
> per kilometre when compared to the Pacific Highway upgrade per kilometre.
>
> What exactly was your point?
>
> Regards
> BT

Basically, someone was complaining about the cost of providing infrastructure
to decentralised areas.  I was trying to point out the same number of dollars
can generally provide more/bigger improvements to regional areas than to
cities.  Therefore, shouldn't the cost of providing infrastructure to cities
be questioned?  I was only using the CityLink vs Pacific Hwy as a case study,
and I would argue that the benefits on a national basis for the upgrade of the
highway are larger than for CityLink (bit of a moot point anyway, I know,
since CityLink was privately/state funded, except for whatever federal tax
concessions they got).  However, it is one reason why I don't support federal
dollars being chipped in for the Eastern Ring Road in Melbourne.

This is also a bit more of a deep and philosophical topic (for me anyway), of
why do people need to live in cities, and why can't more be done to promote
development outside Sydney and Melbourne.  Basically a lifestyle thing.

Al