Re: CPH Railmotors

"keith malcolm" <kmalcolm@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
eZHQ6.127$Lh6.19223@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:eZHQ6.127$Lh6.19223@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...

> MW & JA THOMSON <mwjathom@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Just need a little info on the CPH railmotor. What does CPH stand for?
What
> engines have been fitted to them? A link to a web page perhaps.
> Regards
> Thommo
>
> The coding has been done already in other replies. The CPHs are fitted
with
> 6/71 Detroit Diesels.
>
> Dave Malcolm

Just to mention that CPHs originally were fitted with petrol engines of some
sort. Of course petrol was a more dangerous fuel in that it is highly
explosive. When the CPHs were built prior to 1930 diesel wasn't all that
common in road vehicles.  I don't think diesel buses were commonplace until
after WWII.  Weren't the diesel engines now fitted developed for military
vehicles?

So could the P in CPH stand for petrol?  If you look at the carriage
numbering for the old single deck Sydney electric power cars, introduced
around the same era, they started with C for control.  If P was for power,
wouldn't the electric cars use P instead of C.

Regards

David Bennetts