Re: Conversion of a VR

In article <3b12e91b$0$25470$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>, James C.
says...

>"> I was amazed and very pleased to read in RD, that a VR "J" class steam
>loco is
>> to be converted from broad to standard gauge.
>
>In about 2-3 years time, this would be the only loco can run on 1/2 of the
>state.
>
>>Now that most of Victoria is to be
>> converted to standard gauge, will the remaining broad gauge in SA also be
>> converted to standard gauge?
>
>SA hardly ever invest on railway, a simple less then 2 km extension on
>Tonsley line to Flinders University and Grange line extension to Wesfield
>shopping center , even simpler job like extension tram line from Victoria
>square to Adelaide station takes forever to do let along Victor Habor line.
>Not all the vintage rolling stocks can convert o SG. If Victor Habor line
>ever going to get access from Adelaide it would be much better to use BG to
>reconnect so that Trans Adelaide can operate suburban services to
>Bridgewater, Adelaide Hill etc. But it's SA we talking about here,
>you more likely to see Obahn
>
>Cheers
>James

James, I agree, SA is frustrating, to say the least, when it comes to improving
it's rail and tramway lines. I have said for years, that most of the Adelaide
suburban network, should be converted to light rail. Then, the extensions you
talk of, would be easy! Adelaide has many opportunities for light rail.
Divirting the Outer Harbour line, via the centre of Port Adealaid, is just one
example of what could be done. A tram evey ten minutes is far better than a
train every half an hour. The Nth Gawler and Noalunger Centre lines would remain
as heavy rail, and be electric, of course! Even the suggestion that new light
rail vehicles be obtained for the Glenelg line, leaving the "H" class for
weekend tourist service, has been ignored. Why?

You are correct, there are likely to be a few broad gauge tourist lines left,
once Victoria is converted to standard gauge, as there should be, for the sake
of history. Dalesford, comes to mind, as does the Maldon line, etc.