Re: John Kirk letter in May Railway Digest.

In article <_KMP6.696$rn5.39987@www.newsranger.com>, John Coyle says...

>In article <WmMP6.4197$25.14892@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au>, Andy B
>says...
>>

>>"John Coyle" <nospam@newsranger.com> wrote in message
>>V7MP6.691$rn5.39351@www.newsranger.com">news:V7MP6.691$rn5.39351@www.newsranger.com...
>>> John Kirk is a very well respected rail manager and genuine rail
>>enthusiast. He
>>> helped form RAIL 2000. Mark Carter and Max Michell were in control of the
>>group,
>>> too. Both men are of high standing on the rail scene. Yet, none of these
>>good
>>> men could see the coming downfall of RAIL 2000, nor do they understand, to
>>this
>>> day, WHY the group REALLY failed! RAIL 2000 failed because it lacked a
>>broad
>>> public transport focus. Urban transport was ignored, and, for the most
>>part,
>>> passenger trains were overlooked. Perhaps after a "breather", the above
>>mentined
>>> men should consider starting a TRANSPORT 2000 group, to attract MANY more
>>> concerned citizens, more Media attention, and ongoing success.
>>>
>>> Any reasonable comments on this issue, anybody?
>>>

>>Gawd, you are a whinging opinionated bastard.
>>
>>Dear Andy B, I started the group, Citizens For Public Transport, in 1990. Since then, QR have accepted a SERIES of suggestions from CFPT, including the introduction of the Brisbane-Longreach "Spirit of the Outback" train service, and the QR/McCafferty's rail-road travel pass. Plus the booklet style of timetables used in Brisbane and, later, Sydney. The timetable books are partly paid for by advertising space. The ban on smoking at enclosed railway stations in Brisbane was my idea, too. So, I may be "opinionated", but my parents were married when I was born, so I am not a bastard! And, CFPT has outlasted RAIL 2000, due to  being broad based, and not just working for better FREIGHT railways! The Adelaide railway system is one of the worst in Australia, yet, RAIL 2000 IGNORED urban transport!
>>
>>A Transport 2000 group would be a better approach, since it would cover all modes of transport, both passenger and freight. Sounds to me like something we need here in the States, especially, since our Congress is little more than a glorified prostitution ring that panders to special interests, which is no wonder USA transportation policy is such a cesspool of incompetency, corruption, and one screwed up mess. No wonder our railroads are screaming bloody murder over the opressive taxation on their rights of way, which they build and maintain themselves while our freeloading trucking industry sponges off of government largess. Next time any of you visit Washington, DC, be sure to hold your nose when you go by Capitol Hill. That so you can keep a meal down.

Back to the subject matter, a Transport 2000 group that covers all transport
seems the way to go. That way everything that needs attention will get the
attention that it deserves.

James Mancuso