Re: Alternative Fuel for Rail?

> > With alternative fuels such as LPG now well established for road
transport,
> > and more recently CNG (compressed natural gas) being used for buses, I
> > wonder if such fuels have been successfully trialled for rail transport.
>
> GM is looking at a hydrogen fuel cell locomotive. The Ballard fuel cell
> has become quite efficient, and 3000kW cells are being offered for
> industrial use (mainly mining).

By coincidence I was reading an article about future developments in the UK
last night and Alstom are planning to develop fuel cells in the next 5 years
or so. You can read it here:

http://www.commerce.co.uk/engineering/pdfs/decjan00/pdfs/page_006.pdf
http://www.commerce.co.uk/engineering/pdfs/decjan00/pdfs/page_007.pdf

The bit I refer to is on page 7, although the quality of journalism from the
engineer's point of view is debatable (isn't it always).

Dave