Re: [Sydney] Light Rail into the CBD? + UNSW heavy or light rail?

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in article
<9eiuo6$23a1$1@otis.netspace.net.au>...

>  I can generally agree with the thrust of your argument ie "Trams and
buses
> should be on the street, as close as possible to where the
> people want to go" but it is a Light RAIL system.  Note the speed the SLR
> vehicles travel at when they share the street with pedestrians and
> vehicles - you could almost walk faster especially when stops are taken
into
> consideration.

I don't even understand why we need a north-south light rail link through
central Sydney. There's already the City Circle which operates every 5
minutes throughout the day, plus the North Shore line from North Sydney to
Central - and then very frequent STA buses along George, Castlereagh and
Elizabeth Streets! There are around 60 buses every hour throughout the
daytime along George Street from Railway Square to the QVB (slightly less
from Railway Square to Circular Quay and The Rocks because the 412, 413,
461, 480 and 483 - ten buses an hour in all - terminate at the QVB).

I think we need more east-west buses and trams through the city centre. My
preference would be for a new tram line to branch off the existing line at
Sussex Street, then turn east into King Street. through Queen's Square and
to the Art Gallery. This would service the western tier of the CBD (which
is fairly poorly served by public transport - most of the buses and the
underground train line run along George Street)  and also provide an
east-west link through the heart of the city, and also link up to a major
tourist destination.

Of course, this will have to wait until after the Cross City Tunnel is
completed.

Regards
BT