Re: Unbelievable! (NSW)

Tony Gatt <baulko@optushome.com.au> wrote in article
<qlJO6.1040$S5.2442@news1.belrs1.nsw.optushome.com.au>:

>the words "Privatisation" are ringing in my ears atm...

Would work wonders for Cityrail. Set punitive standards to ensure that
trains are kept on time and provide an incentive for the private operators
to run the trains on time. Would also pay to set standards on safety and
cleanliness. Compensate passengers for late running. Allocate a third-party
regulator to ensure all the above standards are kept. Set standards on the
upkeep of rollingstock, i.e. refurbishment, building of new rollingstock
after a certain number of years. Set standards on fare collection, and even
make it a point to become multi-modal after a set number of years giving
time to adapt to it.

The only things I would not do, is split up Cityrail into separate
companies. At best, separate Cityrail into suburban and inter-urban groups,
giving the V and G sets to one company to operate and the remainder to the
company who will run the suburban operations. Provide SOME flexibility with
regards to on-time running, i.e. allow the company to alter timetables and
not be punished as long as the customers are satisfactorily informed, in
advance.

However, going for UK style privatisation, will only cause what Tezza in
the next post fears. Cuts in service and safety for the convenience of
profit.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME