Re: Federal Budget- Nothing for the Nation's Railways!

David Bromage wrote:
> ANDERSON GIVES UP ON RAIL
>
> This Budget is proof that the Transport Minister, John Anderson, is not
> capable of delivering rail reform, Shadow Transport Minister, Martin
> Ferguson said tonight.

The Minister replies.

$111m for NSW rail held up by lack of reform, says Anderson
   CANBERRA, May 22 AAP - NSW would lose $111 million for upgrading
mainline rail unless the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC)
could make arrangements for managing interstate track, Transport
Minister John Anderson said today.
   "The Commonwealth is prepared to provide $111 million to the
ARTC in the form of an equity injection that will enable it to fund
rail initiatives in NSW when it reaches agreement on suitable
access arrangements and develops a sustainable base supporting that
investment," Mr Anderson said.
   "Despite significant effort, the ARTC has been unable to
establish suitable arrangements for managing the NSW component of
the interstate track through state rail agencies.
   "As a result, no money has been released from the program to
fund rail initiatives in NSW."
   The government has set aside $250 million over four years to
fund mainline upgrading across the national network, with the
largest proportion earmarked for the Melbourne-Brisbane corridor.
   Mr Anderson said a recent report by the ARTC on the performance
and investment needs of the national rail freight system
highlighted the importance of the system being managed as a single
network.
   "I see no reason for the Commonwealth continuing to invest in
track improvements when states are not prepared to make the
necessary track management changes that will turn state rail
systems into a national network," he said.
   "Consequently, $111 million provisionally allocated ... (for)
NSW will be available only upon success in securing satisfactory
progress in NSW on track management reform."
   Mr Anderson said reforms in Western Australia, South Australia
and Victoria had led to federally funded projects that resulted in
improved transit times and reliability and boosted rail's market
share.
   AAP fh/daw/mg/br