Re: Graffiti vandals go online

"Daniel Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message news:<hprO6.69968$ff.535685@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> "jamie baxter" <melbwriters@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> c5f9ea69.0105210505.6b0fe28b@posting.google.com">news:c5f9ea69.0105210505.6b0fe28b@posting.google.com...
> > "Daniel Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
> > > Maybe we can get the Vic Police to investigate
> > > http://melbournewriters.cjb.net/
> >
> > I run the site, why would they investigate? What's to investigate?
> > Incase you forget, the government tried to shut down some graffiti
> > sites, but failed.  My site shows a pictorial documentation of
> > graffiti, I don't encourage or condone illegal activity.
>
> I don't doubt that legally, the government is in a very weak position over
> this.
>
> > Promoting graffiti is illegal, but simply showing pictures of trains
> > with graffiti isn't illegal.
>
> "If you wish to have any of your work put online simply send in a good clear
> photo."
> -- sounds like promotion of graffiti to me. If it's not promotion, what is
> it?
>
> While this style of painting is undoubtedly a form of art, I would argue
> that the placement of it on other people's property, with its consequent
> effect on the running of the transport system, pretty much forfeits its
> status as "art".
>

> Daniel

I suggest that as many of us as possible complain to abuse@cjb.net.
Be very clear that the site promotes illegal activity, vandalism of
public property, and dangerous activity (namely riding on the outside
of trains).

The cjb.net terms of service at http://www.cjb.net/policies.html are
interesting, in that they state that they do not allow:

"material that promotes, encourages, or provides instructional
information about illegal activities;"

and that:

"CJB.NET may only be used for lawful purposes. Any use of these
services which violates any local, state, federal, or international
laws which may apply to CJB.NET, your local jurisdiction, or any
jurisdiction that you or your site may be subject to is strictly
prohibited."

Note: "international laws".

Finally, if a site is withdrawn due to a violation of these rules, a
charge in US$ may be payable.

Lets hit these turkeys where they'll hurt.  The more complaints, the
better.

If you disagree with me so be it - any flames will be ignored :-)  I
for one am sick to death of vandalism of our trains, and I'm sure the
problem down south is far worse than it is here in Brisbane (apart
from the darn scratched windows).

--Colin