Re: Big Dipper takes $5m ride from Luna Park

The "Scenic Railway" is still at St Kilda's Luna Park, it was the "Big
Dipper" that was removed.

The Scenic Railway is quite unique in that it has a "driver" (actually a
brakeman) to stop the cars from going too fast and derailing. The Big Dipper
didn't have this feature, and from (vague) memory, had a much more
complicated "bogie" with wheels gripping the side or bottom of the rail as
well. As far as I know, the Scenic Railway is just a "normal" railway (with
some pretty impressive gradients), as far as the track/wheel interface is
concerned.

fd9kgtojkdjjms17pcj5beng0s740a9k26@4ax.com">news:fd9kgtojkdjjms17pcj5beng0s740a9k26@4ax.com...