Re: [NSW] Bondi Beach Line Scrapped

David Bennetts <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
BHkO6.2080$Ld4.94085@ozemail.com.au">news:BHkO6.2080$Ld4.94085@ozemail.com.au...

> ">
> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,2024956%255E421,00.
> html
> >
> > "Instead, Mr Scully announced public money would fund an $86.4million
> > turnback extension to increase service frequency on the eastern suburbs
> > line.
> >
> > "A source within the consortium said the Government was duping the
> > public. 'What they are doing now is building a turnback that goes
> > effectively halfway to Bondi Beach anyway,' the source said."
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
>
> Wonder what they mean by a turnback, is it a clockwise loop that will allow
> trains to return to the opposite platform at Bondi Junction?  If so, it
> would have to be of quite a radius to allow trains around.  The consortium
> source would probably be quite right in that case, make the loop a little
> larger and put the Beach station on it!   Rebuild the volleyball stadium on
> top and you'd really have the NIMBYs squealing!
>
> regards
>
> David

$86.4m for turnback facilities - must be a gold plated loop.  Although even a
200m radius loop will be 1.25km long (a repeat of Olympic Park with flange
wear and derailments?).

Other options that spring to mind to permit 20 trains/hour on the
Illawarra/ESR:

* Bondi Junction has the best part of 3 terminating roads beyond the station
that could be linked and lengthened, hey presto, some high quality terminating
facilities but needs relay drivers in peak hour;

* Scissors crossing on the up side of BJ station may do the job.  Tight time
wise and again needs relay drivers in peak hours;

* Build a turnback facility at the site of Woollahra (sp?) station with a
little tunnelling to achieve the desired length.  Every 2nd train the BJ,
every 4th train to Edgecliff and every other 4th train to Martin Place.  Bumps
BJ down from 12-13 trains/hour to 10/hour.

They should all cost way less than $86.4m and I reckon with the change you may
just afford to grade separate the main/suburban/local line crossovers at
Illawarra Junction.  That'd be money really well spent.

Chris