Re: [Vic]Industry welcomes rail boost

    Fellow Travellers,
    All very nice, but still no sign of any rail connection to Webb Dock,
the Govt. is always babbling about how Melbourne has a great port system,
compared with other ports this claim is just laughable when one considers
the lousy rail access to the docks.

Regards,

Bill.

"James C." <james_ccj@optusnetdotcomdotau> wrote in message
3b08c73d$0$25478$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3b08c73d$0$25478$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> [...]
>
> The government has allocated $96 million over five years towards the
> expected $140 million cost of converting an extra 50 per cent of the
> freight-rail network to standard gauge.
>
> The allocation represents a more than doubling of previous budgeted
> commitments to the project, which the government said would generate 700
> jobs, mainly in rural areas.
>
> Transport Minister Peter Batchelor repeated a call for financial support
for
> the initiative from the Federal Government, while budget papers stated
that,
> to be fully realised, the plan required Commonwealth and private sector
> support.
>
> The budget boost for standard gauge - the major grade in New South Wales
and
> the one used for the Perth-Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane national rail
> corridor - follows the completion of a feasibility study.
>
> The government said the study found that increasing the proportion of
> Victoria's rail network that is standard gauge from 29 per cent to around
70
> per cent would deliver "significant net benefits by way of reduced freight
> costs, increased efficiency, reduced road costs and greater inter-port
> competition".
>
> Victoria's existing standard gauge, or 1.435 metre-wide network, feeds
into
> the port of Portland in Victoria's south-west. Ms Broad said a key
priority
> under the government's Regional Freight Links program was the provision of
> standardised link between Mildura and Portland in partnership with the
> private sector.
>
> "This would secure the development of the mineral-sands industry in
> Victoria's north-west by providing efficient freight links to the Port of
> Portland," the government said, referring to an issue that has been under
> discussion for a number of years.
>
> According to budget papers, in 2001-02 the government plans to spend $10
> million on the conversion from broad gauge - a legacy of decisions by 19th
> century Victorian colonists which contributed to Australia getting three
> incompatible rail gauges - drifting up to $26million in 2004-05.
>
> The government has also budgeted $30 million over three years towards the
> previously announced Wodonga rail bypass, with the government looking for
> $20 million to be provided by the Commonwealth Government in tomorrow's
> federal budget and $7 million from the private sector.
>
> The project involves relocating the rail line from Wodonga's central
> business district to a route parallel with the Hume Freeway.
>
> Ms Broad was quoted as saying "it is anticipated that $10 million ... will
> be recouped from land sales on existing rail reserves".
>
> The government said it had also allocated $800,000 for automating sewerage
> and waste water connections at Station Pier over the next year.The
Victorian