Re: Southern Highlands

"Marvin The Martian" <choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote in message
3B09B8B5.D2C23629@spin.net.au">news:3B09B8B5.D2C23629@spin.net.au...
> I have a question, Whenever there is trackwork on the southern highlands
> line they put buses on instead of the trains. The XPT and freight trains
> still get through so why don't they run the Moss Vale trains as they are
> diseals too?

The trackwork usually involves occupation of one line, so that means the
trains to and from Sydney have to use one remaining track. This limits the
capacity to handle the traffic, and also introduces delays.  There's not
only XPT (four per day) and freight, but also the Canberra Xplorer (six per
day). They are in fact running the early morning and evening Endeavour
railcars while the work is on (four per day).  On top of that, the freight
is still going as you say.  To remain competitive with road services, and
avoid penalties for late arrival, the freight must go through, rain hail or
shine.

The alternative would be to try to run all services, and have the passengers
more cranky about the delays ensuing.  Yes, some freight could go via
Wollongong, but the Moss Vale - Unanderra line is difficult to work and also
has capacity problems.  There is a limited number of loops where trains can
pass.

Regards

David Bennetts