Re: [Melb] Will new trams draw too much current?

David McLoughlin wrote:

> It occurs to me that the new Citadis and Combino trams on order for
> Melbourne are power hogs because of their length and weight. Many of the
> cities in Europe using trams of this type use 750 vDC rather than
> Melbourne's 600v and use a pair of overhead wires (close together -- you
> have to look closely to realise it is a twin set) to carry enough
> current. The Sydney system which uses similar trams (Variotrams) has
> 750v and the double wires for this very reason.

The Sydney system has double wires as it does not have feeder cables
supplying the overead.  Both substations on the system supply the
overhead directly.  The Sydney system overhead was not designed to be
asthetically appealing indeed in most parts it is overdesigned heavy
rail practice.

Chris