Re: Train travel question

> In article <YrhN6.555$Ld4.25535@ozemail.com.au>, "David Bennetts"
> <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Bowral, and are close to time at least 80% of the time, not marvellous,
> > but saying they are always late because you may have experienced a delay
> > or two is plain stupid.
>
> I got off 3 times. When I got back on it was over an hour late 2 out of
> the 3 times. The people who had phoned up Countrylink where told that the
> train was ontime. That's a pretty bad record.
>
> > Greyhound - what a joke.  The operator here went bust, and their buses
> > were breaking down all over the place, because they weren't being
> > maintained. Who wants to be jammed up in a bus all/day or night, unable
> > to move around, unable to get a tea or coffee when you want it.  Even
>
> But they've now been bought by McCaffertys. I've caught a lot of
> Greyhound buses over the last few of years. They're not perfect, but I
> can't remember waiting more than 30 mins for one and that was extremely
> rare.
>
> The bus is also generally quicker. It has a video and people don't
> usually bring their children. So you don't have them running around
> screaming and having water fights.
>
> > Countrylink has decent legroom and rudimentary refreshment facilities.
>
> I'll agree the food was quite good. Certainly better than your average
> road house.
>
> Jason

Well...I have travelled on Greyhound Pioneer, both before and after they were
purchased by McCafferty's...I have ridden on McCafferty's...Premier (in
Northern NSW)...and of course Countrylink.

I have ridden on Countrylink trains (both the XPT and the Xplorer) many times.
The Xplorer, I have found, has never usually been any more than about 10
minutes late, except when an unexpected occurance has happened (ie train
breakdown, train derailment, trackwork). However, I have been on the
Murwillumbah North Coast XPT many times...and only once was it ever on time,
at Maitland Railway Station...most of the time, it was running something like
20 to 30 minutes late...once an hour late.

Greyhound Pioneer has usually been on time for the most part, only once was it
late, and that was because of a car accident near Campbelltown. McCafferty's,
and Greyhound Pioneer after they were purchased by McCafferty's, have never
left on time...usually 15 minutes late leaving...and often arrive at their
destination something like half an hour to an hour late.

On the subject of food...it depends upon what you like. You could either go
with the limited range that there is on Countrylink, or the more expanded
range you will find in most roadhouses. Plus, the food in the roadhouses is
generally fresher...but you have to wait longer to get it, so once again it
depends upon what your preferences are.

On the subject of moving about...on Countrylink you can easily get up, walk
about, and at a few stations, quickly jump out and get a breath of fresh
air...on Greyhound/McCafferty's, you generally have to wait for a driver
change, a major setting down of passengers, or the meal stops, if you want to
stretch your legs and get fresh air into your lungs.

I like the videos on Greyhound/McCafferty's, so you can keep yourself
occupied, but I like the seating in Countrylink (while they may sometimes be
uncomfortable...at least they are not broken, unlike the buses, which often
have broken seats).

Overall...even though they are sometimes late, I now prefer Countrylink over
Greyhound/McCaffery's, pretty much because nothing has changed with the upkeep
and maintenance of the buses since McCafferty's took over Greyhound Pioneer,
and if anything, things have gotten worse...and they never seem to have any
video tapes on the bus any more to play.