Re: [vic/NSW] Engineers urge $500m upgrade to eastern corridor

On Wed, 09 May 2001 04:14:34 GMT, "Dave Proctor"
<david@spambait.proctor.net> wrote:

>"Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@NOSPAMbhp.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Dave Proctor" <david@spambait.proctor.net> wrote in message
>> W33K6.48210$sP6.3057286@news3.aus1.giganews.com">news:W33K6.48210$sP6.3057286@news3.aus1.giganews.com...
>> > "Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> > 3af74ba2.2937891@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3af74ba2.2937891@can-news.tpg.com.au...

>> > Just a thought - and I have no idea if it would really help, or how it
>> would
>> > work, etc - but if they were to connect two crossing loops together, so
>as
>> > to make say a 20km stretch of double track, would this make it easier to
>> > schedule trains as well as making them far more reliable, in that they
>> would
>> > not then have to sit in the loop whilst waiting to cross?
>> <snip>
>> Like Spring Hill to Orange East Fork and Murrobo to ??.
>
>I was trying to think of Spring Hill to Orange as an example.
>
>Dave

Its Murraboo to Newbridge .
The tendency these days is to get rid of double track in preferance to
single track, hence the closing of the 2nd line between Wallerawang
and Tarana.
The pronlem wirh the Nth Coast line is that the XPTs get priority over
the freights which means that freights can be held for up to 2 hours
at loops like boambee beach simply so that the XPT isnt delayed.
If a bit of sanity prevailed then you could put the XPT away for short
periods of time to cross long freights and the total lost time for
both trains would be far less.

This is one of the fundamental conflicts of interest where the State
Govt is both the track owner and a rail operator.

MD