Re: Tas. 'V's & '10's - (was Out of Puff at Puff!! (Slightly OOD))

> I've always been a fan of the old TGR V class, and given that many of its
> members have found new roles right across Australia on tourist/preserved
> lines

Ripped off from the Tassie preservation groups who wanted them but lost them
to greedy rich interstate mobs who should keep their hands off other peoples
stuff and look after their own gear!

> What's PBR's assessment of D21 (V12)? How does it perform, is it popular
> amongst the drivers,

Hopefully shithouse and hopefully very unpopular

>any other comment? Why the number 21?

12 backwards?

> As an aside, I heard recently that the Zig Zag railway in NSW have sent
> their  V class (V13)

obtained by dubious means from some joker who had it on his property but
didn't own it.

>  back to Tasmania, to work on the Abt Railway, from whence it
> originally came.  But apparently they're getting two of the ex Emu Bay
> Railway 10 class diesels,

In another shonky deal with that arsehole "Dodgy" Roger Smith (Abt
(Shambles)Railway) who has already stolen wagons that were allocated to
other preservation groups and wrecked them, as well as stealing a turntable
from the community group who were looking after it at the location it came
from. Now he has screwed Tassie volunteer groups again by shafting them in a
pathetic deal  with Zig Zag, who, if they wanted Walkers built diesel
hydraulics, had plenty of opportunity to get either Q.R. "DH"s (to match the
other stuff they have ripped off from Queensland) or NSWGR "73"s matched
with "DH" bogies. They would have at least been compatible (air braked)
which the "10"s are not!

> which of course are cousins of PBR's ex-QR D22. Has PBR
> explored the possibility of obtaining one of the two 10 class that are
still
> in storage in Burnie, since the Hellyer branch line closed?

P.B.R. - KEEP YOUR EYES AND HANDS OFF the remaining "10"s. They are none of
your business and nothing to do with you. If P.B.R. want another diesel
hydraulic, some of the Queensland sugar mills have spare "DH's and "73"s
they haven't converted yet and probably wont. Then there's the narrow guage
"DH"s that Cook's Constructions are running at Yallourn.

> Would you guys
> want another "large" diesel?

Stick to narrow (LESS than 3'6") guage steam!

> Any idea what one would cost?

$50,000 - which is why Tassie groups were priced out of contention.

> Maybe a deal could be struck whereby ex Mt lyell Abt Mo.5 steam loco could
end up back in
> Tassie,

Keep MLMRCo. Abt No. 5 in Victoria! DO NOT let the Abt Railway get it and
wreck it like they did to Bellarines "Klondyke". As far as I am concerned
both the Mt Lyell No. 5, the Fyansford Beyer Garratt etc. should go to
Bellarine Peninsula Rlwy. as should the A.S.G. (G33) at Newport.

> in exchange for a diesel (sorry, sensitive topic I know)!

You bet its a sensative topic (but not for the reason you were expecting!!)

> Cheers, thanx again
>
> James

Regards,

Steve Z.