Re: 4801 and other Alcos' (and GM's)

"Steve Zvillis" <szvillis@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
9d0k1e$lp8$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:9d0k1e$lp8$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> Does anybody know what is (or has) happen(ed)ing to pioneer NSWGR Alco
> DL-531, No. 4801?
>
> Last time I was at Chullora Workshops (Nov. 99) 4801 was still stored in
the
> yard, complete and seemingly in reasonable condition. I was speaking at
the
> time to one of the workshops purchasing / disposals managers who was
taking
> measurements and photos of 42202, prior to its sale to N.R.R. He commented
> when asked about 4801 that (figuratively) "..it was more than their lives
> were worth to do anything untoward to 4801..." although he didn't specify
> why. Since then, as far as I know, it is still at Chullora.

http://pj_rail.tripod.com/pics/4801_Chullora_26-12-00.jpg

When I was bumming around on boxing day with my new camera I was quite
suprised to see it sitting rusting away at Chullora. I'd thought that
someone would have done something with it if it was not in service.

--
Paul Jones
http://pj_rail.tripod.com