Re: Platform intercom systems (VIC) - green button

"Peter Parker" <parkerp@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how the green button things actually work?  I have
noticed
> that the
> delay before an answer varies considerably, and borders on being
> unacceptably long
> on occasions.  Does the thing have to poll a number of stations and is not
> fast enough to handle them quickly?

I doubt it polls (a la Teletext), but it may have a finite capacity to
answer calls.

> Also the beeping before you get an answer (though perhaps performing
> a similar role to the timer on a PC) probably comes across as being
> unfriendly to technophobes.

I'm guessing it rings a special number on the internal railways phone
system, hence the delay and beeping before and afterwards.

Daniel

--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au