Re: Railway upgrade to separate freight and passenger trains

On Sat, 5 May 2001 10:28:26 +1000, "f.u.i.t.b.e.t"
<fuitbet@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Very efficient a big 600 metre train.
>Wake up!!!!
>You would never make money out of services that small.
>"Douglas Gilbert" <dgilbert@interlog.com> wrote in message
>3AEF851A.3D68822@interlog.com">news:3AEF851A.3D68822@interlog.com...
>> "James C." wrote:
>> >
>> > [snip]
>> > Corporation chief executive David Marchant says Sydney is blocking the
>whole
>> > freight system.
>> >
>> > Rail is currently only taking 20 per cent of all freight between Sydney
>and
>> > Melbourne.
>> >
>> > Mr Marchant says a separate freight track through Sydney would help the
>> > whole nation.
>>
>> Often wondered why high horsepower (per tonne), limited
>> length freight could not be allowed through the Sydney
>> metro area during the current curfew period, at a
>> frequency of about 1 every 90 minutes.
>>
>> Using 2 NR locos hauling a 600 metre freight whose load
>> could be moved by one of those locos if the other broke
>> down, should not cause too many operational problems.
>>
>> Doug Gilbert

NRC arnt even making any money out of their 1500 metre trains .
No hope at all with 600 metre trains with 2 locos .
The profitability of freight trains in the competetive climate we now
have requires that the trains haul as big as possible load (tare
load,not gross load) with the absolute minimum HP / tonne needed .
Prior to the creation of NRC , Freightcorp used to run their
superfreighters with approx 2.5 HP / tonne on the front, but NRC
trains are usually around 4 HP / tonne .
Unfortunately , customers wont pay any more for more HP / tonne.

MD