Re: Railway upgrade to separate freight and passenger trains

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3aef5f1d$0$25503$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3aef5f1d$0$25503$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> On the off chance that you're not just having a joke (which I was a bit slow
> to pick up on), or for those who don't know, One Nation was Paul Keating's
> (Bob Hawke's?) idea to unify?/nationalise? the railway system. An important
> part was a separate freight line from Macarthur to Enfield to allow
> double-stacked containers. We ended up with an extra platform at Macarthur
> and a relief/loop from Ingleburn to Glenfield, almost totally useless.

And to top it off instead of a terminating road between the up and down lines
at Macarthur (for which the earth works look complete) the terminating road is
on the western side of both lines with relatively slow speed entry/exit
failing to minimise conflicting movements.  Now done it will probably never be
rectified.

Chris