Re: An idea of mine - express trams

Why not make some stops bidirectional? i.e. All stops down tram runs into
down stop and is held there until the express down tram has crossed over to
the up stop, collected passengers (is it is a major stop) and proceeded past
the all stops before crossing back to the down line, then the all stops can
proceed.

Obviously some very strict timetabling would be needed, and the signalling
wouldn't be too involved. Only problem would be can a driver open the right
hand doors (DOT)?

It happens on the railways, why not the tramways. In replying please don't
be too harsh: I've only ever been to Melbourne once!

Cheers,
Michael Pfeiffer

Bradley Torr <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message
> Evening all.
>
> While in the shower today, I was pondering upon the old tram vs. bus
> arguments... one pro-bus argument that I came up with was that buses could
> overtake each other, and that you could have 'express' or 'limited stops'
> buses without having 'all stops' buses in front of you blocking the faster
> bus. This is obviously a major advantage of buses, as the patronage on the
> Sydney STA's 'L' and peak-hour 'X' and 'E' routes demonstrates.
>
> I got to thinking how the old tramways and the modern tramways in
Melbourne