Re: defect detectors?

in article 3AED71F8.10287B37@ozemail.com.au, David Johnson at
trainman@ozemail.com.au wrote on 4/30/01 8:08 AM:

> Mark Bau wrote:
>
>> Another detector is a high/wide or loading gauge protector, these are often
>> used on tracks with a lot of intermodal traffic. They consist of a wire
>> strung over the track, if anything on the train is out of gauge the wire is
>> broken and a relay drops.
>
> More common now are light beams.   There is one used at Midland [WA] to stop
> double stacked trains going under the wires.
>
> --
> David Johnson

We tried them here but they are very unreliable, they would set off an alarm
when something blew through the beam as a train was going through it,
newspaper, plastic bag, whatever. I'd be intetrested to hear if the one you
refer to is working well.

How many old versus new type of hi/wide detectors are in use in Aus.?

Mark