Re: English Railway Accident

Daniel Bowen <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
sRon6.53643$o85.305332@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:sRon6.53643$o85.305332@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> "David Bennetts" <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> %Ren6.40$o4.2840@ozemail.com.au">news:%Ren6.40$o4.2840@ozemail.com.au...
> > A real shame - there has been a crisis of confidence in Britain's railways
> > over the past couple of years - the accident near Paddington early 1999.
> > then last year everything was slowed down after Railtrack imposed severe
> > restrictions throughout the network after the Hatfield crash and there was
> > turmoil everywhere as timetables fell to pieces and journey times were
> > extended, resulting in many passengers abandoning trains.   Just recently
> > things were improving for the better, most temporary speed restrictions
> had
> > been lifted and ridership was improving.
>
> I'm told that only last week the speed restriction was lifted on this
> section of line, and a GNER spokesman commented that it may have been quite
> a different outcome if they had been travelling at the lower speed of last
> week.
>

> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
> dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au
> Melbourne public transport FAQ http://www.custard.net.au/melbtrans/

No wonder railways having trouble dealing with the media on such issues.  With
such poorly considered (deliberate?) wording by the GNER spokesperson they've
made it look as though a completely unrelated issue may have been a factor
here.

Perhaps the spokesperson should author a script for the show "Sliders".
They've pretty much introduced the parallel universe theory.

Chris