Re: Countrylink in (even more) trouble.

"James C." <james_ccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3aa2284f$0$25467$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3aa2284f$0$25467$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> > In both of today's Sydney papers it was announced that Impulse will have
> > over 1000 fares at $39 each between Sydney and Brisbane, for travel
> between
> > now and the middle of April (just before Easter school hols, I would
> > presume). Now 1000 seats is not all that many in the grand scheme of
> things,
> > but you can bet your life that Virgin Blue, Qantas and Ansett will
follow
> > suit with something similiar, and with a much greater quantity.
>
> Therefore it would be cheaper to goto Brizzy then Grafton/Coffs Harbour
etc.

Of course it would be. Brisbane (and Melbourne for that matter) has 1000's
of people travelling there per day, which is 1000's of people to spread the
cost of the infrastructure (terminals, etc) over. The planes themselves are
also much bigger (250 in a 763, as against 60 in a DH8) and therefore the
cost of the crew is spread over a greater number of passengers. About the
only thing which is cheaper with flights using secondary ports are landing
fees, and these normally only apply to one end of the journey.

Dave