Re: Metcard Adventures (Was: [Melb] Fare evasion)

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> "Thomson Family" <thomson@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>
> [...snipped...]
>
> > The Difference is David that at a payphone or a coke machine the price of
> > the service/item you are purchasing is below $2. Presently I am travelling
> > on the Lilydale line from Canterbury to Lilydale each day. This requires
> me
> > to purchase a zone 2+3 daily which costs $6.70. The down platform at
> > Canterbury does not accept notes. It is very hard to remember to have over
> > $6.70 worth of coins each day (not to metion strain/weight of wallet!). It
> > is not hard to have less than $2 for a Coke or phone call.
>
> So, you know in advance that you will need $6.70 to purchase your ticket.
>
> My point exactly, I know that when I park my car at Emu Palins to get the
> train at around 0500 to Katoomba, that the booking office is closed, that
> the ticket machine will only take up to $20 notes. So I plan ahead. I make
> sure that the I have a note (or coins) that the machine will accept.
>
> Those who know, in advance, what the machines will accept, have no excuse.
>
> Last week, I had to travel from Sydney to Melbourne, using Qantas, at short
> notice. Shoudl I have been complaining because the the cheap airfares were
> only available via the web, or that EFT facilitiies were not available at
> the terminal? People travelling at short notice should be, and are, subject
> to certain penalties compared to those who can plan ahead. Otherwise those
> who *can* plan ahead will leave it to the last minute, and there will be no
> advantage to planning ahead.
>
> > Today I had my first experience on a refurbished Connex Comeng. Not only
> are
> > the seats hard making it difficult to get some sleep,
>
> Why do you want to sleep ona  journey lasting around an hour?
>
> > but there are annoying
> > recorded announcements before, at and after every premium station (which
> is
> > about every second station on the Lilydale Line) to ensure that you stay
> > awake.
>
> No Comment.
>
> > Makes me wonder why I bother and don't just drive!
>
> I wish you would, then we could stop seeing your drivel.
>
> > I did like the carpetless floors and the seeing into the next carriage
> > though.
>
> Carpetless floors are very practicable.
>
> Dave

Dave, ever heard of the customer is always right?  Systems must be in place
that are easy to use in all walks of life.  The harder you make it for someone
to use that system, then the less likely you are to use it.  As an analogy,
when you're out shopping, for say, furniture, if you're left standing in the
middle of the shop, with only price tags on items and no idea about different
colours etc, and everyone who works in that shop ignores you, then are you
going to buy your furniture there? No, you'll go somewhere where they'll
inform you as to what's available, let you know about delivery, what repayment
options there are.  For another situation, how many takeaways have you ever
walked out of because the service or presentation was sloppy?

Comparing commuter trains with long distance, booked airline tickets is a
comparing chalk with cheese.  For a start, people will generally put more
planning into long distance trips, regardless of mode of transport, whereas
with local public transport, they are after something that's as easy to use as
their own car.  OK, some consideration must be given to buying tickets by the
public, but on the other hand, some consideration must be given by the company
as to how people will buy those tickets.

Remember, the system is there to service the customers.  The customers aren't
there to justify the existence of the system.

Al