Re: DSRM is an absolute joke

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:Oq2t6.71518$lj4.1864847@news6.giganews.com...
> "Steve Zvillis" <szvillis@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> >

> > Negative and ignorant critics who are not interested in finding out the
> > facts pertaining to Dorrigo and insist in bagging it at every
opportunity
> > rather than joining up and helping it to recover from the legal mire it
> was
> > stuck in for years, are the only thing I find hopeless.
>
> So you won't mind opening the place up to the public so that prospective
> members can go through and see for themselves the exact situation, as well
> as asking relevant questions, so as to fully apprise themselves of the
> situation before parting with their hard earnt dollars?

Legal factors currently prevent open public access, as has been constantly
explained. However, members (even temporary ones) can be accomodated. My
temporary membership became permanent as a result of going to see for
myself, speaking to long term members and finding out the facts rather than
believing the lies and rumours.

> Ah, the magic words - "as manpower and resources permit." If there are no
> resources available, and no manpower to do the maintenace, then your
> statement would be correct, as would the statement that there is a "whole
> lot of rusting rolling stock". But since you are a closed museum, we are
not
> able to verify your statements, which is something that I would find
> necessary before parting with *my* dollars.

You cannot verify anything, anywhere, at any major museum, or railway, open
or closed, without parting with a few dollars. However, for a reasonable
outlay, you will get a full years worth of access, as well as regular
detailed newsletters and opportunity for input. If not satisfied, membership
is not a compulsory lifetime committment, unless like myself you support
railway preservation with a bit of long term vision (hint; requires elements
of faith and patience - essential attributes of genuine railway
presevationists!)

> > A lot of "bozos" have invested countless dollars, manhours, etc. against
> > sometimes impossible odds to achieve what would have killed off most
> lesser
> > societies. I wish my own railway had the same ability of raising finance
> and
> > volunteer effort. I have every confidence they will succeed.
>
> But you set your aims far too high.

Aim for the stars or end up in the gutter!

> If I set out to capture every single
> piece of rolling stock on offer

If it's historically worth getting and you have got the support to obtain it
and nobody else with a more legitimate claim wants it, good on ya!

>(something that it appears DSRM set out to
> do)

Appearences can be deceiving!

> I would have had buckleys of getting it all preserved.

You would have even less chance of going back for it, when you have the
means or requirement for it, if you let it go and it's scrapped. [Speaking
from bitter experience!]

> It appears as
> though DSRM is unable to say "No, we won't obtain that,

Again "appearences"! Plenty of stuff that has been available would have been
rejected as being already represented or not worth acquiring.

> we will concentrate
> on preserving what we have

Being done.

> and getting it running.

Not essential

>" DSRM seems to be about
> empire-building,

Seems you dont have a clue.

>rather than creating a viable tourist railway.

Whats this obsession with HAVING to be a tourist railway, immediatly? Whats
wrong with being a well resourced museum?
Why doesn't Williamstown, Port Dock, Bassendean or even Redbank (to be
Ipswich one day??) cop the same criticism?
Now Redbank - theres a story!! All your criticisms for Dorrigo are relevant
here! No public access to the Redbank collection, in storage. A museum at
Ipswich one day? When? [But thats Q.R. (the government) and they can't be
criticized!]

> Of course, I cannot know any different, since you refuse us all access.
> Until you open yourself to public access, we can only continue to think
this
> way.....

See above. Access can be arranged if you are interested. But then, your
probably not.

> And blame DSRM for the legal action (which, after all, was ultimately
> brought about by DSRM constantly doing nothing).

So, if someone trys to take your house off you and you fight back, it's your
fault!

> And none of them operate as the personal feifdom of a particular person.
And
> none of them continued to acquire more rolling stock and locomotives
despite
> their inability to get their existing possessions roadworthy.

And neither does DSRM

> Well you won't mind then if we who are prevented from seeing what is
> (allegedly) going on continue to slam it.

The only thing preventing you from seeing whats going on is yourself.

> After all, if they had nothing to
> hide, they would not be so secretive, would they?????????

Whos secretive? I know whats going on all the time and dont even live in
N.S.W.
Regards,
S.Z.