Re: Call for extended train service

>>> The depot?

>>Which is not very efficient use of what are quite expensive assets. You
>>don't see airlines with their planes sitting around in the middle of the
>>day.Railways have that effect for some reason.Like running empty trains that could have passengers in them.

Airlines do something else, they charge an arm and a leg to fly at 7am from Mel to Syd, then let you fly at
 10am for 50% of the normal fare. They also know that you have to book your seat and will only run
services that make money or meets their needs.

Also, if you cannot get on one flight you will book another and you fly when they effectively let you.
Railways, especially communter runs do not have that luxury. They have to build infastructure to cater
for 2-3hr periods, twice per day, 5 days a week. Outside this period, 50% of their pass rolling stock is
surplus, and their tracks get used by freight, country pass, undergo MTCE or collect dust.The staff also
proberly undergo training, paperwork or sleep.

The airlines also do basic MTCE during the day.

You simply cannot control the rail pass loadings like the airlines do.

Shane