Re: [melb] New-ish Connex Ads

The competition is not between companies to carry customer X between points
A & B. The competition is by comparison between the two companies for each
mode. For example, if Yarra Trams can work out some wonderous way to attract
more passengers to a certain tram route through working with local councils,
speeding up the trip, special offers, new vehicles, customer service,
improved cleanliness, better stops etc, then the pressure will be on
Swanston Trams to do the same.

Imagine if the whole network had been given to Swanston Trams (God forbid).
We'd never know there was a better way of doing things, and would just
dismiss privatisation as a failure. (woeful punctuality, filthy trams, zero
maintenance of stops, rude staff). The fact that Yarra Trams is more
progressive and customer focused sure gives ST some local competition from
that point of view.

This is precisely why the government does quarterly satisfaction surveys. If
one company falls too far behind the other, they will get hammered. The idea
is that there should be a steady upward trend, based on comparison between
the two companies.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex @ bigfoot com)