Re: DSRM is an absolute joke

James Brook <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3AB9D3C6.301C047A@ozemail.com.au">news:3AB9D3C6.301C047A@ozemail.com.au...
> Steve Zvillis wrote:
> >
> > > The DSRM claims to have the largest collection in the southern
> > > hemisphere, yet it is one of the least successful groups in Australia.
> >
> > If your sole definition of "success" is running trains - maybe so, but
in
> > the field of "preservation" [as in "preservation group"] the D.S.R.M.
has
> > been remarkably successful against massive odds.
> >

> They aren't successful because the rolling stock is out in the open and
> it is recieving only basic preventative maintenence.

Well that goes for a lot of other rail preservation groups around the
country. Take Bellarine Peninsula Rlwy. [No criticism intended - just an
example / observation] Despite the lack of proper facilities to house their
existing carriages, left out in the open, which has since resulted in an ex
T.G.R. 'BBL' car deteriorating to the point it has been scrapped as beyond
salvation and a ex T.M.L.R. 'B+' car well on it's way to a similiar fate,
B.P.R. [and Z.Z.R.] continued to obtain and transport locomotives /
carriages from other states at great cost [that could have been spent on
protecting their existing stock].

> No matter how you
> "weather proof" something, water will always find a way in. If they were
> more selective about what they collected

At least Dorrigo stick to stock relevant to N.S.W. and don't rip off stock
from other states, denying preservation groups in the states concerned, who
may not be as rich, the opportunity to acquire stock relevant to their own
local areas, then callously let it rot in the open until it has to be
scrapped.

>  and didn't go for extravagant
> things like the 46 or collecting 33 end platform cars,

Well thats alright for the Rothbury Riot Railway! Before you state the
obvious, I know they have built carriage sheds [quite impressive] but they
haven't been coping with settling devestating legal action or been
undertaking massive earthworks.

> they would be in
> a much better position now.

Considering the above mentioned legal catastrophe they endured, it wouldn't
have mattered if they had two items or two hundred items of stock, they
still couldn't have improved on where they are now. Actually to be where
they are now, despite all that has happened is one of the miracles of
Australian preservation!

> > > Most groups in Australia are at least able to operate some form of
> > > train, even if they are only ganger's trolleys.
> >
> > So what?
> >

> It shows that they are at least getting somewhere. Dorrigo hasn't
> achieved anything other than collecting without any real thought.

Rubbish. Running a few trolley trips or train shuttles with foriegn
irrelevant rolling stock, falling to bits, with shambolic public / display
facilities, is not getting anywhere in my opinion!

> > > What does this say about
> > > the viability of the direction that the DSRM have chosen to follow?
> >
> > Absolutely nothing.
> >

> How can you say that the DSRM is viable when they don't have a source of
> income other than donations? At least the groups operating ganger's
> trollies have some level of income from the general public.

Expending finance and volunteer labour running "you beaut" joy rides while
those resources are diverted from building proper facilities and protecting
/ restoring your stock is viable? Get real. Anyway you have been told of the
reasons why Dorrigo can not yet access their line.

Regards,

Steve Z.